Multi-Way Pots
 
We stated at the start of the page that the Fundamental Theorem of online poker games applies to all two-way pots and to nearly all multi-way pots. The reason we qualify multi-way pots is that there are certain situations with two or more opponents when you actually want one or more of them to play as they would if they knew what you had. Let's say that with cards still to come, you have a 30 percent chance of winning a pot. Opponent A has a 50 percent chance, and Opponent B has a 20 percent chance. If you bet, you might not mind Opponent A's raising with the best hand to force Opponent B out. A's chances of winning may now increase to 60 percent, but yours increase to 40 percent. You have both profited at the expense of C. You might, for example, bet a pair of aces. Opponent A has two pair, and Opponent B has a straight draw. You'd like Opponent A to know you have only aces, not aces up, so that he will raise and drive the straight draw out. You would be getting good enough odds to call the raise and at the same time wouldn't have to worry about Opponent B's drawing a straight.
 
Multistage Tournaments
 
There's nothing wrong with taking a few shots at these unlikely parlays, but remember the odds against pulling it off border on lottery-like. Remember that winning a seat doesn't earn you a penny. You still have to cash in the big tournament even after your unlikely parlay. The world's greatest players rarely cash in the big tournament (much less win!) even though they play it every year.

The possibilities are endless, especially because Internet cardrooms use multistage tournaments so frequently as promotional events and the number and variety of such tournaments will continue to proliferate.
eXTReMe Tracker copyrights © 2005 all rights reserved. Online Poker Guru